Tuesday, June 5, 2018

7A-13 "Dungeøn"

PROJECT - Dungeøn

My maker faire project is a simple 2D retro styled game that plays like a basic RPG would be expected to, but with a catch. First of all, and unimportant, all the enemies are skeletons. Second of all, you are unable to use melee, ranged, or magic. You must plant bombs strategically to eradicate the skeleton infested dungeons.
The reason why I chose to make a game is because I often don’t find enough motivation to finish a game entirely. No matter how loved it is by a community, I will (99.9% of the time) never finish it. Another thing i’ll do when I make my games is I’ll use free use sprites from online, so I don’t have to make them my own. For this project, I made all the sprites, code, and music.
The biggest challenge I had would probably be using my own ideas for almost everything. It’s great to have inspiration when you make something, but you don’t want to make an identical copy of the original (unless that was your plan). I came up with a skull sprite that had cross stitched styled teeth and then did the body, which I made significantly out of proportion to give it an art style that most pixel games wouldn’t use.
I learned that, when I dig down and think of some ideas, I can actually make a fairly decent product. If I had more time, I would compose longer music tracks and make some simple lighting effects.
I’d say what kept me motivated through ebbs in my project, was people at the school who were interested in the game, because I had people asking what I added, if they could see it, and if I had finished the Boss/New enemy/Textures. I had a group of people who wanted to see the final product, which motivated me to complete it.
The cost of the project was $0. Yup, it didn’t cost a single penny to make. Everything in it was free to make, and free to use (as long as you give credit to the original creator, me)
(Online) Project: Dungeøn - Main Quest ❖


Main Theme:
Boss Theme:

No comments:

Post a Comment