Monday, June 5, 2017

6A-3 Aquaponics



Finn.jpg


I got guidelines on how to build this system from inhabit.com.


My project was to address both overfishing and chemical farming.  My solution was aquaponics.  An aquaponics system is the most productive agricultural system per square meter, and that would solve both overfishing, as there would be enough fish, and it would not require chemicals or GMOs (genetically modified organisms).


I was inspired to do this project by a fish pond.  My grandparents have a fish pond in their backyard, with a 16 pound fish.  However, the pond got infested with algae and the fish died(actually, 2 fish died, but one of them was due to a careless sibling with a net).  I than got back home.  After that, I found out what was in fish food.  I learned that the fish are scooped out of the ocean with nets big enough to hold 12 airplanes, and ground up, along with whole chickens.  I thought this practice was wasteful, and very bad for the environment.  I then thought of a system that required no inputs, and that is how I came up with my first idea.


I had come up with the idea of an aquaponics system after I realised it would be very hard to make a self sustaining system for fish that required no inputs of oxygen or food.  Even then, I still ran into many challenges.  I did not have enough time to finish my whole project, and I did not have enough time.


If I had more time, I would first want to finish my project.  However, I think if I had finished my project, I would then think about ways to grow the plants in a more nutritious soil, so I can grow more energy giving plants without fertilizer.  I would also think about making the tank bigger(currently it can only support one fish).  I would also think about making the system completely self sustaining, with solar panels for the pump and aerator, and fish feed on the top.

From this project, I learned a lot about raising fish.  Although I was familiar with the concept of the aquaponics system, I learned a lot of important details on the system, such as having a 6 to 10 inch soil depth, and having 10 gallons of water per fish.


Many people were impressed by my project, not because of the project, but because they thought I put a lot of hard work into the project.  Everyone thought I did a good job, and they thought my idea was cool.


I think we should learn from this project that we are all we need to develop environmental solutions, and that we are able to make change.  I think we should also learn we will all need creativity and curiosity to help the environment.  We will need logic and core to help us, but without curiosity and creativity, we will get nowhere.  We should also learn we do not have to work alone and claim all the credit for something - an environmental solution will benefit all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment